Saturday 27 October 2012

Daylight robbery.....

Tonight's the night we put our clocks back by one hour.

However, that extra hour in bed in no way makes up for the fact that tomorrow it will be pitch dark at 5 pm

It already feels like an awful long haul till next spring despite the fact that we're now in freefall towards Christmas.

Our hopes of moving house before Christmas are fading fast.  With just 7 'useful' weeks remaining it would require a small miracle.  Having spent the last 8 days with a tentative offer on the table, our prospective buyer has apparently disappeared into the ether, taking his spurious (and ludicrously low) offer with him.

Now, I know that you don't have to actually LIKE the person who buys your house, but it seems to me that a measure of mutual respect and trust would be a pre-requisite for entering into a transaction worth several hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Or is that just me.

And to add insult to injury, the couple who were due to view at midday simply didn't turn up. No notice, no phone call to the agent to cancel.....  Having spent all of yesterday afternoon and this morning making the house immaculate, to say I'm a bit hacked off is putting it mildly.

I'm so hacked off I could spit.

When I rang the estate agent to see what was occurring, he committed the cardinal sin of making no end of excuses for the no-show couple which tipped my hacked-offedness into full blown anger and I subjected him to a 10 minute rant on the importance of good manners and common courtesy which reduced him to an apologetic wreck.

Sheesh.....  knowing that we'd been given the run around for a whole week by one of their 'clients' you'd have thought that us having a no-show from another lot this morning would have prompted them to show at least a modicum of tact and diplomacy in our direction.

Ah.

No.

Wait.

What am I thinking.....?

Expecting an estate agent to be sensitive to the stress and anxiety of a vendor is about as likely as an anaconda considering the stress and anxiety of a tethered goat.

Which is to say, not at all.

*sigh*

However, I've just thought of at least one good thing about the clocks changing....

Yardarm will arrive a whole hour earlier tomorrow.





YAYYYYY!!!!!


7 comments:

Unknown said...

poor you, there is nothing as stressful as tying to sell your home, as for rudeness and bad manners seems to be the way the world is now a days, hope you get a buyer soon x

rosanna said...

I dread hour change too and I cannot complain actually because Italy is so much sunnier than UK, yet...
I agree with Gordon's policy,make nights longer :o)))
Goodnight and good luck, Rosanna

Michelle said...

I love the extra hour...seems to make the day longer. :o))

Unbelievable behaviour of some peeps. there is no excuse for bad manners. I didn't know you had a deadline for moving? That just makes it all the worse, let's hope someone very soon puts an offer in and they're a cash buyer. :o)))

Michelle xx

Sandra Morris said...

Awwww....thanks girls.

Absolutely agree there is no excuse for bad manners.

We have a really lovely house to sell and hopefully, sometime soon, someone will want to love it just as much as we have.

In the meantime we'll have to put up with all the timewasters and ne'er-do-wells and pratts who think they can have something for nothing.

Sx

dalesdreams said...

I feel for your situation and the darkness coming on sooner does not help much. I'm sure we'll be turning our clocks back soon as well.

Karin F. said...

I don't envy you Brits with your real estate woes! It's no wonder most of you never move house from birth to death...
It's bad enough in N America with the state of the economy to try & sell while not taking a loss. If it were me I'd be having the first drink at first light >:(
BTW it's quite common over here to receive "low-ball" offers ....but no less insulting to the sellers
Hugs Sandra Pam & SD

Sandra Morris said...

Karin....

Well there's low and there's laughable. We can't just give the house away!

Fingers crossed for a better buyer just round the corner.... Sx