Wednesday 22 May 2013

The Great Clearout continues......

My workroom is no stranger to untidyness.  I tend to work in what I like to call 'creative chaos' and what tidier minded mortals would call an unholy guddle.

However, even I have to admit that I've surpassed myself these past few days.

Having emptied every single cupboard, drawer and storage box in order to rationalise and reorganise the contents I've reached the point where I seriously doubt it will ever be tidy again.

Exhibit A.....


And before somebody pipes up and asserts it's not too bad, I should point out that the bit around the corner, most of the floor, and EVERY SINGLE SURFACE is piled high with stuff.

I did start off by trying to sort just one section at a time, but it rapidly became apparent that I would have to completely empty everything out so that I could move stuff from inappropriate storage areas.

For example, I have a lot of stripwood in various widths, thicknesses, woods etc.  For some obscure reason, lost in the mists of time, I'd been keeping them all in long cardboard tubes in a cupboard which was both too shallow and not wide enough so they all had to be stored diagonally, leaving loads of wasted and unusable space.

Yes.

I know.

I don't know what I was thinking either.  It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I do have a perfectly proportioned cupboard into which all the tubes of stripwood fit exactly, but in my infinite wisdom I was using THAT one to store baskets of kits, which wouldn't stack and were shoe-horned into the space.

So I've switched all the stripwood into the kits cupboard and all the kits into the stripwood cupboard and hey presto.  Everything fits and I even have some space left over.

Quite why this hadn't occurred to me before is a mystery.  Perhaps the act of getting EVERYTHING out of all the cupboards freed me to see what a doofus I've been.

My only consolation at the moment is that it can't get any worse.

 

 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I find a good clearout of all my supplies on a big table and placing them "neater" next time around is always a good monthly thing..then again my work stuff just gets jumbled around right after ;P

Debora said...

:D Somehow there seems a trail of workspace blogs that i've missed. Forgive me for saying but all are a great consolation.... Just as the saying that the most chaotic people are the most creative! ;)