Saturday 14 January 2017

Day 14 - My Frankendolls experiment.....

A few days ago I mentioned that I like to mix and match heads on bodies in a Dr. Frankenstein styley.  One of the comments that day was from Megan Wallace *waves hello* who provided a link to another blog, and a post on Frankendolls.

I'd been unaware of the controversy surrounding so-called Frankendolls, but I can absolutely see why, in the antique doll world, they are a complete no-no.

However, as I'm not trying to pass mine off as anything other than artistic craft creations I'm sure I'll escape the curse of Frankendolls.

Anyways... one of the photos in that post got me thinking....



What if I transplanted some of my toy animal heads onto doll bodies?


Sorry it's not a great photo... the light was fading, but you get the idea.  In the top row, from right to left, rabbit, cat, hare, mouse, mouse, duck, lamb, lamb.
Second row... bear, rabbit, hare, car, bear, bear, goose.

Each animal head has been grafted onto the relevant size of doll body.  I also cast matching arms and legs for each hybrid.

I'm thinking that I can dress them in suitable clothing and use them as toys.  I remember when I was a child, I had a doll that had a rabbit's head, and was dressed in clothes so I think it might work.

Can't wait to get the rest of this casting batch finished so that I can crack on with soft firing them.  

Mwahahahaha!

This channelling of my inner Dr. Frankenstein is strangely satisfying....

6 comments:

Megan Schetsche said...

Oh, those are going to be so much fun. Can't wait to see how they progress through firing and painting!

NarinaNäpertää said...

I LOVE Brambly Hedge and Wind In The Willow kind of stories so I have had a dream of my (only about 10 years or so) to have a mouse (well more than one if I'm honest...), and a badger doll so I could make at least a room box in those themes. After our dear pet bunny passed away few years ago, I added to my wish list a bunny or hare doll too
So I'm looking forward to seen how your "Frankies" turn out (^^)

I'm sure they are going to be as fab as your works usually are.
I promise I'll come and drool after them as they are ready ;)
Hugs, Irina

NarinaNäpertää said...

I LOVE Brambly Hedge and Wind In The Willow kind of stories so I have had a dream of my (only about 10 years or so) to have a mouse (well more than one if I'm honest...), and a badger doll so I could make at least a room box in those themes. After our dear pet bunny passed away few years ago, I added to my wish list a bunny or hare doll too
So I'm looking forward to seen how your "Frankies" turn out (^^)

I'm sure they are going to be as fab as your works usually are.
I promise I'll come and drool after them as they are ready ;)
Hugs, Irina

Contrastes-Rosa Mª said...

El resultado tiene que ser muy curioso y divertido. También he leído el articulo y mientras no intenten pasar esas piezas como originales... está bien la creatividad de la gente, especificando de donde proceden las piezas y que es una composición nueva. Feliz fin de semana:-)

Esther said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your cat head dolls. I recently discovered Susan Herbert's paintings of dressed cats, so adorable! I think this project is going to be a great success. Any plans for a Small Dog look-alike?

Sandra Morris said...

I would LOVE to do a Small Dog lookalike, but I don't have a suitable mold. Sadly sculpting is not one of my talents.
I'll have a hunt online to see if I can find one...would have to be very small though.